Bits have been the go-to piece of tack for years to control and steer a ridden or driven horse. For decades there were no alternatives available. However, now the options are several. When it comes to tack, it is crucial to find the right bridle based not only on the rider’s personal preferences but more importantly based on the type of riding, your horse’s temperament, anatomy and level of training.
Zilco have designed the perfect option for horse owners and riders, a 3-in-1 bridle which can be used in three different ways, with or without a standard bit and which distributes pressure in various places around the horse’s head.
Made from Zilco’s PN hard-wearing synthetic strapping, this 3-in-1 bridle features a matt finish, leather-look, and feel, PVC waffle lining on both noseband and headpiece for added comfort, soft webbing chin strap with neoprene cover, removable gullet strap, and stainless steel fittings. As always, Zilco’s synthetic material requires very easy maintenance.
The bridle can be fitted in three ways:
- Scawbrig bridle – The soft webbing chin strap keeps the noseband from twisting when adding pressure via the reins. The chin strap slides through the noseband rings creating leverage. The noseband can then be adjusted with a tighter or looser fit for extra comfort. This way the pressure applies on the chin groove and nose.
- Sidepull bridle – Remove the webbing pressure strap under the chin, connect the reins to the rings on both sides of the cheek pieces and adjust the noseband slightly to make it tighter. This way the pressure applies on the top and sides of the nose. Often considered the most gentle and kindest design, the sidepull is the perfect bridle when training a young horse or the solution for horses that show signs of nervousness and distress when wearing a bit in their mouth.
- Standard bridle – It can be used as a normal riding bridle with a standard bit. Remove both the chin and gullet straps and attach the bit to the cheek pieces.
NOTE: Due to the position of the noseband some bit styles may not be suitable.
- Great flexibility
- Easy-care synthetic material
- Quick conversion from bit to bitless bridle
- Great for training young horses
- Safer for riders
- Horse friendly
- Better communication between horse and rider
This fantastic 3-in-1 bridle is a great option for those who are budget conscious; easily convertible from one style to the other with no need to buy a separate bridle for each occasion.